Author Topic: Sun rising and moon setting everywhere at the same time  (Read 4167 times)

Saber

• Embrace the universe
    • View Profile
Sun rising and moon setting everywhere at the same time
« on: May 11, 2011, 11:54:08 AM »
On page 218 of The Path of Life there is an interesting line about the application of supernatural power. "(for example, when people all over the world will be allowed to see the unimaginable, extraordinary event of the sun rising and the moon setting at the same time)

The phrase has two interesting elements.  First, that everyone will see this happen at the same moment, and second, that the sun and moon will be viewed as rising and setting at the same moment everywhere.  It is not too unusual to see the sun rise and the full moon set at about the same time,  but that holds only for people in one particular latitude and longitude of reference.  So the remarkable event would be the viewing of this event from all latitudes and longitudes simultaneously. 

I have always wondered what Pangu had in mind when he said that we will someday see the sun and moon together in the sky. I have been trying to figure the physics of that one out for some time, but it could be partially possible even now.  The astronauts in space see the sun, earth, and moon together all the time. 

The moon is often in the daytime sky, but we can not see it due to the overpowering effect of the sun. This is similar to the stars, they are there too, but the blue sky and rays of the sun cancel them out, it is a question of the physics of light and our atmosphere.

During a solar eclipse the moon partially or wholly covers the sun, but we still do not see the moon because the unlit side is facing us.  The ancient people could not see the moon crossing the sun's path either, so they thought the eclipse was caused by other forces.  However, we know that the moon is there, it just appears that a black shadow is moving across the sun. A total solar eclipse is an alignment of the sun, moon, and our reference point on the earth.

So what would it take to be able to see the moon in the daytime?  That is the real issue.  If we could see the unlit side of the moon in the day, then we could see the sun and moon in the sky at the same time.  There are several possibilities: there could be a strong light reflection from the Earth's oceans or polar caps, humans could suddenly see with a greater range of light frequency, some change in the atmosphere could cause a reflective effect lighting up the moon, some source of light from another source could shine on the moon, or the moon could glow on its own. 

According to Pangu, (page 37) "The sun and moon of nowadays are composed of matter, whereas those of the future will be balls of light ... " "Yet in the future world there will be a completely unified sense of time, so that at at any given time their position will be the same no matter where people are viewing from."

Maybe this does not really settle any debates, but next month, in June, there is a both a solar and lunar eclipse, phenomena that were once viewed with great superstition. Could our viewpoint of these astronomical events be so conditioned from our earthly visual perspective that we are missing something fundamental? I believe it is that the world is being created every moment by us, our human consciousness,  which is, if you understand it as such, universal spirit. In theory, we should be able to take any perspective the universe offers us as our own.  That is what unified implies.
Qifully, George

Beautifulice

• View Profile
Re: Sun rising and moon setting everywhere at the same time
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 09:00:51 PM »
Your post is very interesting to me.  ;)  I haven't thought much about this "extraordinary event of the sun rising and the moon setting at the same time" and its implication, but now I gain some inspiration from your deep thoughts.  Thank you!  And I seem to even have more idea about "Sun and moon combine." in PGSG practice. 

Beautifulice

Michael

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 11:52:03 AM »
Mainland China already has a sort of unified sense of time, although artificial, because despite its great size and the fact it covers as many longitudes as the continental USA, China has no time zones.  China also simultaneously uses the lunar and Gregorian (solar) calendars in everyday life.  I find these things a bit interesting compared to what is written about the future human world.

Saber

• Embrace the universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 06:58:18 AM »
I think we can see examples of many cultures in the past and present that use(d) both the solar and lunar calendars.  Sometimes we need to dig a bit, for example even in today’s western world many churches keep the lunar calendar for some important days. The Maya people used a complex calendar that included the sun, moon, and Venus, which interestingly they associated with war.   As you pointed out, in China there is an attempt to legislate the unity of the country through imposition of a single time zone.  Governments are always trying to legislate unity through some policy or law, such as language, education, religion, political system, and even time zones.  It may be done with the best of intentions, but unless the fundamental nature of the people changes for the better, eventually we get bogged down with the same conflicts. We can see the results of imposed “values” everywhere… it doesn’t work.  Of course the unity of consciousness escapes their mandate.  I am convinced that the only way to create a better world is to really culture our spirit.  As it says in the Tao Te Ching, “When men lack a sense of awe, there will be disaster” (72).
Qifully, George