Author Topic: Consciousness  (Read 2597 times)

Saber

• Embrace the universe
    • View Profile
Consciousness
« on: June 09, 2011, 03:15:08 PM »
At one point or another we all realize that we are expressions of consciousness.  The question of consciousness has been debated for as long as we became aware.  There are certainly many terms for consciousness, here are a few: awareness, soul, spirit, God, nirvana, transcendent, the way, oneness, pure Qi, and of course consciousness. The list is certainly not exhaustive.  Consciousness has usually be described as the most subtle aspect of our minds, although recent thinking in quantum physics also can lead to the understanding that consciousness is also literally everything.  Here is an interesting blog by Peter Russell on the subject of mind and consciousness: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/peter-russell/brain-consciousness_b_873595.html .

His discussion, although inconclusive, points to an important philosophical question, does the mind "create" consciousness, or does it "reflect" consciousness?  Why is this important? As Pangu Shengong practitioners we speak of experiencing Qi.  From the materialist point of view one could say that our minds are "creating" the experience, a sort of self induced state. But if the mind is not the creator of consciousness, but rather the reflector, then we are "surrendering to" or "embracing" the experience.  The difference is important.  If the mind is creating the experience, then it is an expression of the ego. But if the mind is letting go to experience the consciousness that forms its basis, then it is surrender. Surrender by the ego to its creator is far different then the ego producing a bigger version of itself.

Here is where we must all be humble in our path of life.  It is easy for the ego to claim it is responsible for doing great things, such as remarkable healings or some other notable accomplishments. In reality our joy is in letting the ego aside and having divine energy do the work, and even get the credit. A walk through the ruins of Rome, China, the Americas always puts mankind's accomplishments in perspective. If we are anything important in the cosmic scheme of events, it is that we have the ability to reflect consciousness for expressing divine love. Sadly, the world has been much more a place of ego, and today's market comodification of all things draws our awareness out into the material world and away from our source.  A quote by a famous poet, Rumi:

There is a candle in your heart, ready to be kindled.
There is a void in  your soul, ready to be filled.
You feel it, don't you?

I believe that this is what we all seek through Pangu, to realize the fullness of our souls. Once the soul is filled, all miracles are possible, including the realization that we do not create the consciousness of the universe, we reflect it, it is already there waiting for us to know itself.  Of course, there is another possible reality, we do not even reflect consciousness, we are consciousness. 
Qifully, George

Richard

• View Profile
Re: Consciousness
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 01:16:26 AM »

George, this topic sounds very interesting, and seem to be hard to explore deep insight.

I agree with your point like "Once the soul is filled, all miracles are possible."  In fact, there are many thousands of miracles happening to our practitioners already through PGSG practice though they ever had been in serious diseases, cancers, or even near ending their lives. But the important key is that these students are willing to following Pangu and Master Ou's instruction on conducting particularly improving the quality of soul while keep practicing as much as possible day by day, month by month, and year by year. In a word, they do Six Practices regularly. Finally, those who were unable to be healed with modern medical ways are now recovered through PGSG! We can say, our Pangu students are creating miracles. I think, you have learned a little bit when you travelled to China, and communicated with some of us, right? Of course, a number of miracles make in United States, Indonesia, and other countries as well. Especially, Indonesia, I have heard so many successful examples until now.

Coming back consciousness, let me share with you one small details. When I joined the group of Ou's Healing Music with other students, my hands usually shaking. One day, a senior student told me that you could ask your heart to stop the hand shaking, keep peaceful and follow singing the song of Master Ou. Then I did it as he said, really, my heart was more peaceful  :)

Be modest and humble

Saber

• Embrace the universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 02:43:06 PM »
One aspect of PGSG has been the remarkable path that has brought to my attention, the Platform Sutra, first in 2009 while working on some translation, and then in 2009 at Master Ou's conference in California. The story contained in the Platform Sutra is simple, but its few precious lines seem to speak of the reality of the universe. Here is one URL link to the story in English: http://zen.thetao.info/read/platform.htm .  My friend Jiegang was correct, the "magic" does not stop. One of Master Ou's recent chantings speaks of seeing clouds and the sun in a new way, this too is a benefit from PGSG.  Just follow the Qi. : )
Qifully, George

Jiegang

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 02:16:18 AM »
There is a section in Master Ou’s book ‘Farewell, My Soul’ that explains in detail about the structure of mankind, the following are related to this topic;

In a nutshell;
        1. There are two main parts that make up the body of mankind: Material (physical organs) and Non-material (soul)
        2. There are three main parts that make up the soul of mankind;
              a)Life force
              b)Thinking power
              c)Supernatural (or magical) Spirit   

In further detail;
 1. Life force mainly acts with super consciousness and is assisted by consciousness
 2. Thinking power mainly acts with consciousness and assisted by super consciousness
 3. Supernatural Spirit acts completely with super consciousness, it is the most important part of the body of mankind which was given to us by Pangu. It governs everyone’s life force and thinking power throughout one’s life time…

And acting with consciousness means the behavior of acting as a result of thinking and consideration. i.e. Walking firstly must be started with one wanting to walk, then one’s legs are controlled (by one’s mind) to walk.

Richard

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 07:39:35 PM »

Thank you for Jiegang sharing!

I have found that, sometimes, the more we explain the human or nature with our knowledge, the more unclearly in our mind. In this case, when reading Master Ou's book, inspirations easily come up relatively. But the premise is that we need to open our heart, be broad-minded to learn Pangu theory and other books and speeches from Master Ou.
Be modest and humble

Saber

• Embrace the universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 02:54:15 PM »
Thank you my Chinese brothers and sisters, and now with most open heart and mind, here is a fascinating piece of supporting research for two central Pangu principles: first that virtually all our life is destined, and second that  thinking is assisted by super consciousness.  I came across this in a book, "The Holographic Universe" by Michael Talbot, originally published in 1991.  Let me quote the section first (page 191). 

"Recently a discovery made by neurophysiologists Benjamin Libet and Bertram Feinstein (L&F)at Mount Zion Hospital in San Francisco has been causing a stir in the scientific community. L&F measured the time it took for a touch stimulus on a patients skin to reach the brain as an electrical signal...L&F found the brain registered the stimulus in 0.0001 of a second after it occurred, and the patient pressed the button 0.1 of a second after the stimulus as applied.
   But, remarkably, the patient didn't report being consciously aware of either the stimulus or pressing the button for almost 0.5 second. This meant that the decision to respond was being made by the patient's unconscious mind. The patient's awareness of the action was the slow man in the race.  Even more disturbing, none of the patients L&F tested were aware that their unconscious minds had already caused them to push the button before they had consciously decided to do so.  Somehow their brains were creating the comforting delusion that they had consciously controlled the action even though they had not.  This has caused some researchers to wonder if free will is an illusion.  Later studies have shown that one and a half seconds before we "decide" to move our muscles, such as lift our finger, our brain has already started to accomplish the movement.  Again, who is making the decision, the conscious mind or the unconscious mind?"

Naturally I think we Pangu students would prefer to use the term "super-consciousness" rather than the common "unconscious." But the exciting implication here is that we construct a reality with our mind, but it may be completely a false one.  Master Ou has spoken about this, telling us "not to believe our eyes."  The mind is as ever changing as our body.  Our real connection, is through the super-conscious spirit, it is the link between the life force and the thinking power.  Without realizing its connection to the super-consciousness, so many of our health problems are the result of the worries and false judgements that the mind constructs.  The fundamental benefit of Pangu Shengong is that the heart-mind realizes its source. 

So why bother with all this? As Richard points out we need to just open the heart and mind.  True enough, but as we progress on the path of life, inspiration comes from all quarters.  Knowledge and insight that is useful for our journey finds us; fear is left behind.  After all, if our destiny is prescribed for our super-conscious spirit by Pangu, then we benefit by taking a thoughtful look. Harmony between heaven, earth and humanity, I believe our duty is to harmonize our soul in order to accomplish these results, and along the way, so much to enjoy.  Finally we learn who it is that wants to walk.
Qifully, George

Jiegang

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2011, 02:51:19 AM »
I think we can come back to the basis now (copied from: http://www.pangu.org/english/pgsg.html);

The gist of Pan Gu Shengong theory is: 1)The principle of properly conducting oneself in society and the key of exercising Pan Gu Shengong Qigong is achieved through adhering to the following philosophy: “To take kindness and benevolence as basis, to take frankness and friendliness to the heart.” 2) The philosophy on the way of treating others and dealing with affairs is: “To speak with reason, to treat with courtesy, to act with emotion, and to accomplish result.” 3)The third principle is “to turn mystery into reality and to transform complexity into simplicity.”
According to the theory of Pan Gu Shengong, Qigong is a special knowledge, possessing both matter and spiritual characteristics. The matter characteristic shows itself in three ways: 1) as a special kind of energy, 2) as a special form of the molecular movement, 3) as a special kind of field. The spiritual characteristic mainly refers to the dynamic ability that surpasses matter characteristic and manifests itself in vitality and thinking ability. The spiritual characteristic has conscious action and super-conscious action. The relations between all things and matter in the universe including man and man, man and matter, matter and matter coexist while opposing one another, are tolerant then stable, are harmonious then resonant. The philosophical viewpoint of Pan Gu Shengong, then, is that of harmony prevailing among the Heaven, Earth, and man.
The contents of the forms of Pan Gu Shengong is to absorb the energy of the sun and the moon and the essential Qi of the universe, then use it to suppress the negative things and to make known the merits, to help mankind and to guide its people. The principle of Pan Gu Shengong is formulated according to the dialectical relations that exist among and between various kinds of things and matter contained in the formation, development, and trend of the Heaven, Earth, and man.
Pan Gu Shengong has condensed the factors in the Universe that are beneficial to man and matter, and has provided the function of self-adjustment. As a result, if practitioners of this Qigong are willing to conduct themselves in the correct manner and to deal with things according to the principle of “taking kindness and benevolence as its basis, taking frankness and friendliness as its bosom,” put forward by the Qigong, and to insist on exercising according to the contents stipulated by the Qigong, then the effect of curing sickness, strengthening body, developing wisdom, and living in harmony and friendship with others will be realized.

Beautifulice

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2011, 04:26:15 PM »
Thank you so much for all your sharing!  I love to read your deep thoughts.   ;)
Beautifulice