Author Topic: Pangu Or PanGu or Pan Gu  (Read 2466 times)

Pam

• View Profile
Pangu Or PanGu or Pan Gu
« on: August 01, 2011, 01:04:11 PM »
I know this might seem like a simple question and it probably is, But when is it absolutely correct to use PanGu this way and use it this way Pangu and lastly Pan Gu this way. I really do read a lot of Posts and Lectures, But still I'm not clear which should be used when. Believe me I know this must seam such a simple question but it is causing me much worry. HELP
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 01:46:15 PM by Pam »
"Do one thing every day that makes you HAPPY!!!!"

Jiegang

• View Profile
Re: Pangu Or PanGu or Pan Gu
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 02:16:48 AM »
I think Pangu is the updated correct version, and I donít think you need to worry even if you canít get his name 100% right, Pangu has the broadest mind in the universe!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 02:33:35 AM by Jiegang »

Beautifulice

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 11:27:39 PM »
I totally agree!  ;)
Beautifulice

Pam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 04:07:51 AM »
Thank You both very much. I have seen it in those 3 different forms and didn't know which one went where. Now I will not worry.
However I don't mean to beat a dead horse but how would you write PanGu Shengong, Like that or Pangu Shengong? At the top of the Forum it's
PanGu Culture. I am just interested in getting it right. I'm a strange person.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 02:45:54 PM by Pam »

Jiegang

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 02:34:29 AM »
Pangu Shengong which is the same as the format used in the recent Newsletters.

Pam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 11:03:43 AM »
I got it now, Thank you all so very much.
I apologize for being so stubborn

Jiegang

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 01:21:50 AM »
Why apologize? ??? Thank you for the opportunities, thank you very much for your inspirational posts too.

Pam

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 12:36:11 PM »
Jiegang, Thank You for your reply. I over evaluate things that are so important to me. I want to get everything just so. Your other reply should have been enough Pangu does have the broadest mine in the universe. This last reply from you made me laugh, It was just the way you said it, I am still smiling about it.
A while back I was going to reply to your Post on the yellow (sun) and white (moon) chrysanthemum it was such a great picture but a thing came up and said something about it wont be read or something like that, I don't know. So I will tell you now how much I enjoyed the picture, Thank You again. Oh I also printed out your Chinese characters just because they are so cool. 

Michael

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 03:11:11 AM »
Hi Pam, you might be interested to know part of the reason why you see different variations is that the original source is in Chinese and there are different systems of transliteration in order to convert the sound of the Chinese into Roman/Latin characters because the original Chinese characters are purely ideographic and have no pronunciation clues.  There are different transliteration systems that have been used in the past couple of hundred years, and within each system the norms and conventions for when to combine the Roman characters (PanGu Pan Gu or Pangu, ShenGong or Shen Gong or Shengong, Tai Chi or Tai Ch'i or Taiji or Tai Ji) and when to split them up is not always consistent, just as there seems to be inconsistency in English when to capitalize the first letters of words in title or article names, etc.  Just compare BBC articles on the web to the New York Times.

This kind of question comes up a lot when Chinese and English culture and language come into contact, and believe me you are definitely not the only person who ever wanted to know the exact, correct way to do something Chinese.  Ha-hah!  The same things also happen within China when different languages like Mandarin and Cantonese are in proximity, especially in regards to pronunciation of dialects not common to the local region.

Best wishes,
Michael

Pam

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 04:28:52 PM »
Thank You Michael for the Kind Words of Wisdom. Old habits die hard, I still find myself using PanGu, But now at least I know it really doesn't matter,
But your explanation clears everything up. Thanks for such detailed insight .   

Saber

• Embrace the universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2011, 04:07:54 PM »
Michael has the best perspective on why there are different written English variations.  As a point of information though, the official name in the USA for the organization is written like this: Pangu Shengong.  While it certainly doesn't matter how you write it in your heart, Olivia is working to make it consistent for "trademarking" purposes. Happy Moon Festival!
Qifully, George

Pam

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2011, 09:09:10 AM »
Hey George, Thanks for the reply I shall do my best to adhere to the correct spelling.I am so use to writing PanGu Shengong but l want to be correct in all things with PGSG.